Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Up, Up, and Away...


"Disneyland Moonliner" Illuminated Replica

"Walt Disney's round trip to the moon - 500,000 miles - will take about 15 minutes, all without ever leaving the ground."

In the years that it stood on its launching pad in Tomorrowland, the iconic TWA Moonliner Rocket never left planet Earth.  Never mind its aluminum nose aimed straight up at the cosmos, those three "retractable" feet were bolted to terra firma.  

To fan the imaginations of Disneyland space travelers, illustrations and film of the rocket in actual flight helped to heighten the illusion of an "authentic trip to the moon in every detail."


Moonliner en route by aviation painter Frank Soltesz for TWA



The attraction's pre-show film simulated countdown and lift-off.

For Disneyland's 55th year, Jody and I set out to create the ultimate "Rocket to the Moon" replica, differing from previous models that depicted the ship in its earthbound stance.  

Our 22-inch Moonliner is well underway to the stars, lit from below by soft blue lighting built into the base.  A miniature duplicate of the attraction's original sign serves as a title plaque.

But best of all...


"Bye bye, Earth!"

A small "viewport screen" recessed into the base contains a color-slide of the spaceport on the ground as seen in the attraction during take-off.  Limited Edition of only 500 


Life in 1987!

22 comments:

Virtualbri said...

Ah, so many things I want from you two....

But at least I'll be getting this one! :)

Beautiful work as usual!
--Brian

Kevin Kidney said...

Thank you, Brian!!

Kim said...

It's gorgeous, and I want it. Really, though, you guys are making the only DL merchandise worth having nowadays. The only ones that get the nostaglia....

flix said...

Really cool! I want it too, Your works are amazing...

mini_jen said...

Ordered! It was one of my first memories of D-Land, I really thought we went to the moon!
Love you two! Happy B-day to Jody too!

Major Pepperidge said...

Oh my gosh, this is the best yet. I have to get it!

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Wow - I want this!!!!!! Time to turn in all my coke bottles! "bye-bye earth" Awesome!

Len said...

Beautiful work Kevin! Now, if I could just get you to recreate the entire Carousel of Progress with all the scenes intact...life would be complete!

mini_jen said...

Ok so I guess I really was "going" to mars, they changed it in 1975 to Mission to Mars..still, way cool.
http://www.yesterland.com/moonrocket.html

Disney On Parole said...

"Fly me to the Moon..."
You guys are incredible!!
I was at the park the other day and saw most of your collection!
WOW!!! Congratulations!!!

rivamonte said...

I loved that ride. Great work you guys - making room on my desk right now waiting for mine to arrive. Plan on putting my future friend next to it!!!

Amy said...

I'm so glad that this one is available online. I ordered one before I could change my mind (and before they're all gone). It's going to look great in my home.

Paul said...

Hey Mr. Kidney! Have you seen your work featured here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwnPobGRGrA&feature=channel

Take a look at about 8 minutes in.

R.Dress said...

Hi Kevin,

Great work! I love the way this rocket it lit. Just perfect. By the way I took some time to look at some of your older posts and found the Mr. Toad sculpt to be the best thing I've ever seen.

Best,

Robert

Main Street said...

So good...more posts, more posts, please!!

Lisa M Griffin said...

What a great post... love all the interesting Disney tidbits. Thanks for sharing.

Amy said...

I finally unpacked mine and placed it in my freshly painted living room. It's amazing. You guys did beautiful work.

http://www.chinashepherdess.com/2010/09/space-camp.html

wewiii said...

I just got back from Disney World and I regret not purchasing a few items of yours. The Moon rocket, the Bandleader Mickey, and Jiminy Cricket. Can I purchase these online? The Disney sites don't seem to offer them. Is there any place I can purchase these items?

Kevin Kidney said...

Wewiii,

You can telephone Disneyland Merchandise Services at 1-800-362-4533 to order current merchandise directly from the parks and have it sent to you.

Kevin Kidney said...

Thanks!!

Kevin Kidney said...

Yes! Followed by the replica of America Sings. 😄

Kevin Kidney said...

Thank you! I hope you were able to get one!