Thursday, July 15, 2010

All Aboard the Mine Train

Edition Size: 500     Release Date: TBA

For many years a dilapidated old train sat in ruins along the banks of the Rivers of America, the last remaining scrap of an extinct Disneyland attraction from bygone days.  It was in terrible shape, rotting and falling apart from years of exposure.  Barely legible on its domed boiler was a faded gold number "1". 

Mine Train #1 in 2006

Earlier this year, the train vanished from the park, heroically rescued by the Disney Studio Archives with plans to restore it! It was a good omen for us since we were then hard at work on a miniature replica of Train #1 as it appeared bright and new when Nature's Wonderland opened. We're delighted that more Disneyland fans are appreciating this classic attraction, the layout of which had been designed by Walt Disney himself.

Train #1 in happier days.

Our replica of the Nature's Wonderland Mine Train #1 will be released this fall, as part of the ongoing celebration of Disneyland's 55th Anniversary. 

12 comments:

Daveland said...

These collectibles you have designed that you have been posting are fantastic - keep 'em coming!

Michael said...

Yet another beautiful piece. I had no idea the train was gone from the park; I guess I'm lucky I made my first trip out there last fall while it was still visible. I was shocked at how many traces of the old train route remained - I figured it would have been built over years ago. The Mine Train is the ride from Disneyland's past that I most wish I could go back and see for myself...

Sam Towler said...

As a total NWRR enthusiast, I gladly approve! Fantastic!

The Mur said...

Your items are always so great but this has to be one of my all time favorites!!!!!!

Please keep us informed as to when this will be available. I will definitely make the long trip to make sure I can get one of these.

jedblau said...

Beautiful work, as always.

thepicklebarrel said...

wow.

i'm happy now.

Jason Schultz said...

Kevin, you know for a fact that the Archives got this? I was wondering what happened to it. Given its condition, I was afraid that it might have been scrapped when it was removed from the Park.

Kevin Kidney said...

Yes, Dave Smith announced at our NFFC presenation on Wednesday that the train had been given to the Archives. I (half) joked that Jody and I would be happy to restore it for them. :-)

Unknown said...

wow that looks great!

I'll have to start saving my pennines and brave the lines so I don't miss out on this like I did on the Enchanted Fountain

Noko said...

I saw a prototype of the model at the Disney Gallery. It is really a stunning piece. Does this model roll? And, what is the bulk of the material made of? The prototype looks very glossy, and has the appearance of ceramic. Thanks for all of the work your team produces.

KD Younger said...

Isn't there another unit (in better condition) up in the Imagineering Warehouse? I know they had it at the Autry a few years ago for a Disney related exhibit there...

and, someplace backstage at Disneyland is still a bell from one of the old mine train engines...it used to grace a fruit cart that was stationed across from the Splash Mountain drop in Critter Country...that cart as long since passed on, but, the bell is probably in prop storage, somewhere...some of us had been trying to get the bell for the Red Kerchief League....sadly, it never happend...

Flyboyhi said...

This looks fantastic! I hope there will be enought that us "avg" collectors can get them with out having to go to the "resllers" at high prices !
I saw the empty track in June and the captain said it was being refurbished. Great rendition.