Wednesday, January 09, 2008


White Rabbit Big Figure
Originally uploaded by Miehana
This was the very first big figure I ever designed, for the 50th anniversary of Walt Disney's "Alice in Wonderland" in 2001. He's about 16" tall and holds a real working "pocket watch." Back in the early days of the "big figs", we'd put the character's name on the base, until we discovered that most of the collectors didn't care for it. We omitted the name from later figurines, and if the figurine was balanced and could stand on its own, the removable base became optional (I prefer them without bases.)

In 2005, we re-issued this character with an aqua-colored base which I think was a great improvement in looking more like Mary Blair's color styling in the film.

Also Pete Emslie, who did the turnaround sketches for this piece has posted his beautiful drawings on his blog.

8 comments:

Daveland said...

Can't believe I missed this one; love the fact that the watch actually works. Nice sculpt!

Amazon Belle said...

Hi Kevin,

Glad to see you are starting a blog. Can't wait to see more of your amazing art and images. Great sculpt on the White Rabbit! Don't grow weary of well doing.

Kevin Kidney said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eric Scales said...

Are you sure the bases weren't issued the other way around? I bought mine in 2001 and it had the aqua base. A beautiful piece, and the first big fig I just had to have.

cinder said...

Hi Kevin I love the big figures and it is nice to learn about the process. Until recently not alot was known about the designers.I got brown base Rabbit long before the the green base which I bought because of the matching Alice. Thanks for sharing. Hope to see more.

cinder said...

Hi Kevin please visit my blog spot I started to build one after seeing how fun it is to chat with others. It is at cinderscorner.blogspot.com/ I really enjoyed reading about what you did you help create my big friends. thanks cinder

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hi Kevin

Amazing Work I am a huge fan, and very impressed with all you have done. I did have a question if you knew of any way I could get my hands on the white rabbit big fig that sold back in 2001. I know its long been sold out but i didn't know if you knew of anywhere I could look other than ebay? Thanks so much and again Amazing Work!!!