Thursday, January 31, 2008

DISNEYLAND TIKI ROOM SHIRT AND DRESS REPLICAS



The eye-popping shirts and Hawaiian dresses that adorned Disneyland's Tiki Room hosts and hostesses in the 1960s are among the most colorful - and TIMELESS - apparel ever designed for the theme park. Tuning in to our own obsession for all things Tiki and Vintage, we surmised that offering a limited edition of near-exact replicas would be a hit with the collectors....and it turned out we were right. 500 of each style, in purple and green color variations, were produced and rapidly sold out...and to this day I still spot them regularly at Tiki events and parties on both coasts.

So, who is that attractive couple so smartly showing off their duds in the above photo? Why it's my dear friend Humuhumu (Michelle Whiting) and yours truly modeling for the Disney Catalog! We are NOT professional models, by a long shot, and the story of how we got to appear in the photo shoot is told best by Humuhumu on her own blog...

Disneyland Tiki Room Shirt and Dress Replicas

Humu brought her personal "golden" high-heeled slippers to the shoot, and we heard many comments about them from shoppers. Perhaps if Disney had been selling those shoes, they could have made a fortune!

4 comments:

Chris Merritt said...

My wife and I both have ours! I went broke on all this ETR stuff...

Major Pepperidge said...

I was too late, they were sold out by the time I tried to buy one. Boo! So....if they sold so quickly, why don't they make more? Oh yeah, limited edition of 500...rats.

Matterhorn1959 said...

Kevin- thanks for showing us your wonderful artistry and items. I am looking for more from you! And Major, I purchased two of the shirts, one to keep and one to wear.

Colonel Tiki said...

I was so excited to see Michelle in the final version - I think I remember that she said it was originally a test shoot, but they decided to use it anyway.

My wife and I are proud owners.