Thursday, September 09, 2010

Take The Path That Moonbeams Make...

The city lights below sparkle like fairy dust, and the clock tower, striking the late night hour, reaches up to us through a cloud.  With a woosh, we bank toward the moon and suddenly we are directly over Never Land itself, where all our happy dreams come true. 

"Off To Never Land" Original acrylic painting by Jody Daily

This "wide-screen" illustration of one of Disneyland's most enduring dark rides, is really a study in black light.  Using  just regular acrylic colors, Jody was able to simulate that glowy, other-worldly look of fluorescent paints under UV light.  Pretty convincing!

Sorry, you'll never see this painting in the Disneyland Gallery... Jody made it for a friend!

8 comments:

Eric Scales said...

I was going to say "I didn't see this one available". An beautifully executed scene!

Dr Bitz said...

I think Herb Ryman once said, "Paint the VERBS, not the Nouns." These paintings of Jody's remind me of how valuable that lesson is as they are all about the passion and childlike feeling of what's happening. So much recent Disney art is all about the object with little or no feeling. Thanks for the great "verbage" Jody.

Eddie Sotto

Donnie said...

How can I become Jody's friend!

Kimickey said...

Delightfully magical - absolutely marvelous - transcendently joyous! I want to be the kid in the stripped shirt when I grow up.

What am I saying? I am that kid each and every time I pass through the entry tunnel and enter my favorite playground – I’m going to Disneyland!

kimickey

Emily said...

This is sooo beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing!

Brian Sibley said...

I love this and all Jody's paintings! They capture the spirit of D'land!

administrator said...

absolutely wonderful transcendentally joyful! I want to be the guy in the striped shirt when he grows up.

What am I saying? I am the child every time I pass by the tunnel entrance and enter my favorite place
study abroad then very good information form <a

DOLORES said...

You are awesome! What really blows me away is that you were involved with the original DisneyLand. I am a mere resident within a 5 mile radius of WDW here in FL. I have been to Anaheim as well as Disney Paris. I never get tired of it. Even taught at Celebration as an art teacher, met many animators and had the thrill of a lifetime going to the REAL animation studios here in FL before they were disbanded.
My hat (ears) off to you!