Friday, September 03, 2010

Color and Quirk

Fantasyland "C" Ticket - Original acrylic painting by Jody Daily 

This painting was snatched up by a collector so fast we didn't even have a chance to tell it goodbye. It was the first in a series of Disneyland illustrations featuring Jody's now-famous "kid in a striped shirt."

Considering the trove that surrounds and inspires me every day in our Anaheim studio, I don't blog about Jody's work nearly enough. Failed attempts aside to convince him to start his own blog, there will be more from the colorful and quirky world of Jody Daily coming to this space throughout the week.  Enjoy!

9 comments:

[rich] said...

Great work :-D I'd love to see more please...

Disney On Parole said...

Yeah!!! Bring on JODY!!!
I just love looking into the world of "Kevin and Jody"!!!!

Noe V. said...

You should be careful about posting these paintings. It was so sweet I got a cavity.

Emily said...

Kevin-

Do you know if there are prints being sold of this painting? I've admired it since I first spotted it a D-land.

Thanks,
Emily

Major Pepperidge said...

So nice.

Eric Scales said...

When I first saw these back in the Gallery I remember not being able to figure out the medium. The colors were so vibrant I figured they must be done in guoache. But this one in particular has a fluid quality- it almost looks like someone took the final image, heated it and let it drip a little bit- I thought perhaps it had been digitally done to get that effect. But it doesn't ruin the solidity at all. I was just amazed that someone could draw this way.

Eric Scales said...

Emily, I think prints of this series are still available at the Disney Gallery on Main St.

Emily said...

Thanks for the info, Eric--
I'm sending an annual-pass goer friend to check it out for me :) I love these paintings so much!

Kevin Kidney said...

Thanks for the great comments Everybody! I've passed them onto Jody who blushed, dug his toe into the dirt and said "gawrsh."

Emily and Eric, Sorry to say that this image has never been released as a print or a giclee. The memory that you have of it is from seeing the original on the wall before it sold. "Live Mermaids" is, so far, the only "Jody" painting that DL has chosen to reproduce as an inexpensive print. Hopefully that will change sooner than later. Write your congressman! (...or Deanne Hill in Disneyland merchandising!)